The situation with the goats is mostly good news. In summary
- The goats (and now a few sheep) need to be moved quickly in order to ensure their safety.
- Brooke would like to find homes for the goats, in socialized groups, in the Dallas area so the volunteers in the Waco-area who’ve worked to rescue these goats can visit them. If you know someone in the Dallas-area who could provide a good home to a few goats, please contact Brooke at 210.508.8302.
- The volunteers, by the way, have worked a lot of magic. There isn’t an established Humane Society with lots of available resources in Waco like there is here in Austin. A handful of volunteers are using their personal resources and time to keep these animals safe and away from auction (which is what usually happens to seized farm animals).
Assuming you’re like me, you can’t take in a family of goats but the photos of them are haunting you. Here are ways you can help Sunny Day Farms help these animals and so many more with equally tragic stories.
- Donate through Pay Pal. There isn’t a specific page set up for Sunny Day, but Pay Pal allows you to send money to an email address. So send what you can to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any amount helps.
- Bake for one of the two bake sales benefiting Sunny Day Farms this month. There’s one in San Antonio and one in Austin. If you can’t bake, spread the word to everyone you know about the bake sales and their worthy cause. More information about both sales can be found here.
- The Sunny Days in Texas benefit zine is still available for sale. Buy one for yourself or a friend. All profits go to Sunny Day Farms.
- Attend the Gathering of the Tribes in Austin this Saturday where there will be a raffle benefitting Sunny Day Farms.
- Donate items or time. Sunny Day can always use veterinarian care, animal medication, hay, bread, fresh produce, animal crates, building supplies, wheel barrows, gardening supplies, and animal grooming supplies.
- Have a credit card that offers points? Redeem them for a gift card to Lowes or Home Depot and donate it to Sunny Day. Gift cards or checks can be mailed to Sunny Day Farms, 540 Country Road 5711, La Coste, TX 78039-2309.