For the fritters
2 sweet potatoes
1 large yellow squash
1 starburst squash
1 large carrot
1 large parsnip
1/2 white or Vidalia onion
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
~ 1/4 cup vegetable oil
salt and pepper, to taste
For the applesauce
2 apples, peeled, cored, and shredded (I put chunks in my food processor)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
plash lemon juice
1. Roughly chop vegetables. Boil or steam until they are well softened and almost cooked through.
2. Meanwhile, mix applesauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat for about five minutes until warmed through and well combined. Pour in about 1/2 cup water and cover.
3. Place all the vegetables in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle them with flour and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. On a cutting board or clean counter top, shape the vegetables into patties of whatever size you desire (I like them relatively thin, so they turn out on the crunchier side).
5. Place patties on a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 40 minutes at 350°, turning over once midway through.
6. Meanwhile, stir applesauce frequently until water has cooked off and a saucy consistency is achieved (probably about ten to fifteen minutes). Set aside.
7. Remove patties from oven when golden and crispy, but not burned. (Alternatively, fry patties in a little oil until lightly browned on both sides).
6. Serve with a side of applesauce.
This will make your house smell really good, too!
Recipe adapted from Vegan Planet’s Autumn Vegetable Fritters.
Cross posted from stellatex.